View Single Post
Old 19-10-2007, 12:52 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyStyles View Post
With the new live view function, anyone know how good it is to focus?
Hi Eric,
Live view makes it a breeze to focus on bright stars/ planets through the scope.
I used Jupiter to focus the ED80 2 nights ago using the 10x zoom capability.
Planet was focused to a clean sharp disc with 4 moons easily resolved (one very close to limb was resolved as separate point too). Similar story with bright stars, very easy to find best focus. Don't expect to be able to see bright DSOs though!
I have also found it difficult to focus on stars with the 17-85mm kit lens. There seems to be a limiting magnitude issue. Perhaps that wouldn't be an issue in say a 200mm lens

Live view can be accessed on the laptop using the EOS utility software and EF lenses can be focused through the software.
The EOS Utility software also allows you to set up the camera functions remotely. Very easy to setup a 20 x 2min exps for example then walk away!!!

The banding in the examples above are horrendous - nothing like that on my unmodded 40D thankfully. I have however noticed a "dark river" towards the bottom of the frame in some exps - but this vanishes after setting the black point - so no dramas.
Hope some of this helps Eric
All the best
Doug