View Single Post
Old 17-01-2018, 09:56 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, in my opinion the new, all Japanese NA140SS (the previous SSf model was made in China) is a very under rated performer. It is a very close match with a friend’s high end 152mm APO triplet on deep space and it seems to deliver slightly better star colour definition. Of course it falls short of the 152mm APO on very bright stars, Jupiter at opposition and the Moon. However, clever strategies with filters on these objects delivers a result similar to a well corrected doublet. So, all of this for a seventh the price of the friend’s 152mm APO. Plus it is relatively compact and much lighter. For me it is much better value. It is my primary observing scope.
I have a Vixen ED103S that is set up on a goto mount for video imaging and with small modifications, daylight observing. My grab and go set up is a Ziess fluorite 85mm spotting scope that gets extensive terrestrial use and some astronomical use.
Skys clear will now look at HJ3997.

Lovely looking scope too ..the big Vixen , and worth every penny by all accounts..The Japanese do know how to build a refractor for sure.

Just going morrow put an order in for the TS 130MM PHOTOLINE..and case and flattener.
From Teleskop Service near Munich.

Hes got a few KK orthos that I dont have anymore, so a couple of those also...To go with the underrated Dual EDs...and a Delos.
Very good value for FPL 53 Glass.

So hopefully some good Doubles/Planetary/variables etc coming up...and a bit more imaging than before ..doubles too.
After all this is a Planetary year.
bigjoe.