View Single Post
Old 13-07-2015, 11:55 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Yes trapped charge leaks out during the exposure hence the need for high cooling to reduce the amount that leaks out. But the question really is do you notice any difference (improvement?). I am familiar with the RBI argument but if your tracking is very accurate and subs sit in the same spot image after image which they do when everything is schmick or if you dither and take enough subs then RBI would simply be either nonvisible in the first instance or an outlier in the 2nd instance.

If I flick through a long series of subs its hard to notice any artifact apart from cosmic ray hits. Where I do see it is if a plane flies through a sub or you take darks right after some lights which had some bright stars in it.

The worst I saw was when a plane flew through the image and the trailing lights were visible in the next 3 or 4 subs as it faded eventually.

Greg.
Greg,

I'm happy to use my U16M at -30C without RBI flush. The only ghosting I ever notice is an afterimage of the focus star in the sub taken after FocusMax runs. Sigma rejection takes care of that.

The camera at SRO is shared and someone in the group wanted to use RBI flush. If it had been entirely up to me I would have run without it and evaluated the results to see if it was necessary. If you can get away without using it then you benefit from not incurring the extra noise.

Cheers,
Rick.