View Single Post
Old 22-05-2015, 11:52 PM
ericwbenson (Eric)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Eric, I have used multi star guide with MaximDL using John Winfield's plugin. Now MaximDL 6 supports it natively. I know your an ACP user (as am I), do you know if ACP works fine when multi-guide star is enabled in MaximDL? I'm still running MaximDL5 but have the license to upgrade to 6, just haven't had the interest.

I have reservations about multi star guiding at long focal lengths however... It would work and work well but your OAG pick off and guider need to be a fair size. As you've no doubt experienced with your long focal length set up, sometimes you're lucky to get two stars on the chip, but often its only one.
Hi Jase,
Funny, I have the Maxim 6 license too, but like you I have not updated the imaging computer with it (it wasn't broke!). I did recently read a thread in the ACP comm center about the v6 multi guide star + ACP setup, eventually they did get it all to work, so I was going to try it, eventually...but I did want to get Scheduler working first.

Even at 3.5m fl some parts of the sky I can see a dozen guide stars with the SX Lodestar, other parts just a few, but almost always more than one. That is with the rotator though chasing the best spot. I have also set my minimum guide exposure length to 1 sec since the tracking on the A200HR is reaaally good and any small corrections faster than that are often just seeing/wind/noise, and likely better ignored. I'd make that even longer but then dithering becomes a pain since after the dither the guider needs to lock on again causing a few more guide cycles. I think ~5sec is longest exposures I'd use for that reason.

With a rotator + >1 sec exposures I think multiple stars is feasible most of the time. Worst case is multi-star turns into single-star.

Best,
EB