View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 10:28 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
my guess would be that it's backlash in RA - DEC looks good.

have you tried tightening up the worm clearance as a first step. The transfer gear clearance may need to be tightened up if the worm clearance is OK. easy to check if there is a problem by seeing how much the scope can be rocked in RA by hand.

these mounts make strange noises when starting and stopping a slew. You can make them less noisy with careful adjustment, but it does not seem to make much difference to performance. However, the Dec noise you describe could possibly be due to a slightly over-tightened worm, so it would probably be worth tidying that up as well.

persevere - these are good mounts, but they require adjustments every few months to keep them in peak condition.
Thanks mate :-)

To be honest I don't know what you mean by "worm clearance." I take it I should basically pull this apart and follow some of the video instructions I've seen on adjusting the gears to remove any play and giving them a good clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Actually, the dec graph isn't too bad, and it doesn't look like it's working very hard so your polar alignment is good enough. There's definitely something wrong with the RA though.
What focal length are you imaging/guiding at?
Cheers,
Andrew.
Thanks Andrew :-)

This is only at 600mm... I've also bought a new scope that I haven't had a chance to use yet, an RC8... I shudder to think what the graph would look like on the RC8!