View Single Post
Old 27-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Paul Haese

A New Arrival: New Battle Tank

Part of my long term plans was to buy a replacement to the STL11002M that I own. Whilst it is a great camera, it has a couple of glaring problems. During summer it struggles to keep the sensor at -20C with many nights not being possible at that temp. Another being it only had enough space for 5 filters, something I was not keen on maintaining.

I had planned to use the STL for a few more years and persist with the niggling problems. That was until a couple of weeks back when I looking over my planned imaging targets for summer once the new dome was operational, and then trying to find a remote Guide Head to operate the AOL I had, and on top of that Peter announces the arrival of his AOX. A quick look over my astronomy budget which was blown to hell for the year with the purchase of the Dome, roll off roof kit, PMX, 3" rotator, Atlas focusor, adapters etc, etc, etc.... You get the picture. So I decided what the hell, what is another 12k for the year? Yeah lots I know, don't get me wrong; I know this is incredibly lavish, but I don't plan on spending money on the mount and imaging train again if I can help it. I saved a lot for this complete system and planned for years on having a narrow field system and like many dreamed of the ultimate system for narrow field work.

So in the end I bought a STXL11002 with integrated 8 position filter wheel and guide camera. I bought the gear through ATS (Peter Ward) who had a very competitive price and delivery was quick.

Opening the boxes I was immediately awed by the size of this camera and filter wheel. Within an hour I had the filters in the wheel and that attached to the camera. I have now ordered yet another adapter from the Atlas to the STXL (despite the picture; it is just leaning against the focusor). I hope my sums are correct and I hope Jim Sheng has sent me the correct back focus figures. Time will tell, but for now here is my final battle tank imaging solution for narrow field.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0691.jpg)
197.2 KB140 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0693.jpg)
133.1 KB118 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0694.jpg)
138.5 KB109 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0696.jpg)
100.4 KB115 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0697.jpg)
190.9 KB130 views