Thread: Galaxies
View Single Post
Old 19-03-2012, 07:30 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Psyche,

There is one "silent" killer to viewing galaxies - moisture in the atmosphere.

This last year along the whole length of the east coast of Australia the atmosphere has been loaded big time with H2O. The result is that it kills the ability to clearly see galaxies at all. All DSO's actually.

Many experienced observers have been describing the view of galaxies as being "mushy", "soupy" and mirky.

I too have been most disappointed with the view of even big and detailed galaxies through all my scopes this last 12 months. The huge spiral galaxy M33 in my 17.5" normally shows a beautiful spiral system. This year it's been an oblong blob with bugger all spiral structure. Centaurus A (NGC 5128, or the Hamburger Galaxy) has been really difficult to see clearly at all. And the typically bright and detailed Fornax cluster has been very hard to see easily or with much detail at all.

You have been doing nothing wrong at all. When the atmosphere has been drier, like 2 years ago, all of the above are beautifully detailed in my 10" dobbie. Easier to see, sharper, brighter. Centaurus A, M 83 and the Sombrero are easy to spot in a 30mm finder at a dark site. No chance presently.

The only thing that will help is to wait for the current climate pattern to change to a drier one.

The galaxies are still there, but they will really, really test your observing skill. Be patient. We are all in the same boat, .

Malcom mentions also mentions the Sombrero. It is still a good target at present. Its distinct dark lane still makes for a striking image.

Mental.