View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Gama

OK, final test i done was a Noise test with the lens cap on.
The camera is going back to Nikon tomorow, and im very sorry to see it leave, with the crappy weather we had the last 4 days i couldnt do 1 more astro image, oh poo.
So i did a noise test with both cameras at 23 deg room temp (I really give them hell with temp). The results speak for themselves, the D200 really comes out very strong with these tests. I did not do any screen streching or enhancing. Its RAW and just saved and uploaded.. Thats it.
Another drawback for the Nikon, is you cant switch off the power while its doing the NR capture, cause all it does is stop the NR image and switch off. It does save the file but removes an equivalent of NR of time that you let it before you switched it off. By this i mean if you wait 10 seconds before switching off the camera, then it only removes 10 seconds of equivalent NR.

Anyway, i'll submit my complete analysis of this camera to Nikon Australia, and hopefully with their permission i could release it to everyone around the globe.
Having said that, i am NOT employed by Nikon or any of its agents nor related to any emploees to the said company. I just beleived that this camera should (And did) have a huge huge impact in Astrophotography.
Problem is the misconceptions out there that Nikon are inferior to Canon.
Well, wake up and smell the coffee, its not. As Comet Guy said and i totally agree, the cost of the camera and its ability was unfair to compare it too a 20D. But hey, thats all i had, and so do many others, plus its only a few hundred dollars more than the 20D and over $1500+ less than the 5D. Not that i dont like the Canon 5D, to which im still confidant the D200 will also be a better Astrophoto camera over it (Up to ISO 1600), just get rid of the Hot Filter.
If Canon wants to send me a 5D for testing, i'll give it the same fair go and also display the results.. Hmmm, whats their telephone number again...

Too much Tech Talk, time for Cave man Talk.
Ugg, 20D Good, D200 much Gooda Ugg.

Me Get one, Ugg.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Canon Bin 3x3 316 sec NR off.JPG)
91.2 KB80 views
Click for full-size image (D200 Bin 3x3 360 sec NR Off.JPG)
106.2 KB78 views
Click for full-size image (Canon Bin 3x3 319 sec NR on.JPG)
106.4 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (D200 Bin 3x3 360 sec NR On.JPG)
90.0 KB92 views