View Single Post
Old 20-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

A belated report in. Tassie weather had thwarted any attempt to view these doubles. I brought the list with me hoping I could slot these in at the South Pacific Star Part at Wiruna.
The Thursday evening was reasonably clear and the observing field relatively quiet. I had a good session with the added bonus of the sky steadily improving, though it all fell apart when snow bearing cloud rolled in around midnight. It was cold!
I am only now catching up with the report whilst camped down at Eden.

All observations were at 100X - LVW 8 in my Vixen NA140SS.
Regulus - blazing white and wide very pale white companion
Tau - yellow and wide pale white companion with a hint of blue. 83 Leonie was nearby in the same FOV - yellow with pale blue companion
7 Leonis - yellow-white with faint white companion
6 Leonis - red and pale white companion
STF 1399 - yellow-orange and near equal magnitude white companion
88 Leonis - yellow-white and paler orange companion
54 Leonis- yellow and pale blue companion with a hint of yellow
Gamma - blazing yellow-orange and pale yellow companion with a hint of orange. Gamma was the closest double on the night but still a straight forward split at 100X.
By this time the sky was crystal clear. The Wiruna sky is certainly one step darker than my skies at home. I spent some time revisiting favourites just to experience the views under very dark skies. Then the clouds rolled in. We awoke to light falling snow the next morning. Friday night was clouded out but Saturday night was excellent late evening.