View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
lepton3 (Ivan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poita View Post
..Part of this exercise was to hopefully get some expert processing applied to average data to see what could be done. Also to let people know what they can expect from their captures and know whether to blame the data/capture or the processing for the results!
I'm hoping to get some good data in Armidale.
Peter, you're doing a good thing. It's worth practicing on difficult data.

And it's also worth trying on every opportunity to get good data. I reckon you will have noticed that most of the leading planetary imagers are out there pretty much every night, so when the seeing comes good, they get good data.

So it's also worth experimenting with your capture settings to see what eventually gets good results and what doesn't, so you can make the most of the seeing when it finally does come.

I'm not sure of the nuances of capturing in colour, but I reckon this AVI is a bit dark, so is more affected by noise than it would be if it was a bit brighter. Also, that would have made focusing more difficult. Maybe try knocking the frame rate down a bit, or reduce the f.l.? Undersampled data (i.e. data that has finer detail than the pixel scale) responds well to upscaling later.

In the end though, the seeing makes or breaks it. Still, all good stuff to try.

-Ivan