View Single Post
Old 20-09-2018, 08:18 PM
nsavage (Nick)

Astrophotography Reflector Setup

Hi all,

New to the hobby, have been lurking on the forum but this is my first post. Currently have a 8 inch f/6 dob and looking to add an Astrophotography setup in to the mix.

I have a couple of fairly basic questions, have been hunting around on forums but struggle to find a definitive answer so I am going ask here. Apologies if anyone feels that these questions have been asked before.

Based upon my budget I have settled on a Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro Mount. The hard part is deciding which reflector to put on it. Selection is down to a 6 inch f/5 or an 8 inch f/5.

Will the mount handle the 8 inch? Will it’s ability to handle the 8 inch be dependent upon conditions and wind etc. Is the mount going to struggle with the 8 inch reflector most of the time? For Astrophotography is there much difference between a 6 and 8 anyway? I have the feeling that the 6 inch is going to be the most suitable option. Also I intend to use a Guidescope which will of course add additional weight.

Also is there a big difference between the GSO and Skywatcher Astrophotography reflectors in regards to quality? Do both have good focusers? Would either of the focusers be up to the weight of a coma corrector, extension tubes and a 400-500 gram CCD?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Last edited by nsavage; 20-09-2018 at 09:08 PM.