View Single Post
Old 13-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Doomsayer

Indexing of the two mirrors is also usually important. It is likely that the two mirrors are figured to be postioned in a particular angular postion relative to one another. If they are out of index, less than optimum performance is a likely consequence.

Now that you have it apart, it would be a good idea to put a small centre spot on the secondary mirror with a fine felt tip. This will aid greatly in realignment of the primary baffle if it has moved and the secondary collimation if required.

Does the primary mirror have any internal means of adjustment exposed? I gather these GSO primaries are 'fixed' at the factory.

I have found that the combination of a Catseye 2" autocollimator, 2" sight tube and a 2" laser works really well for RC collimation - I also have a tak collimator scope. You also need to be confident that the focuser is levelled and centred relative to the secondary and optical axis. (The tak scope, laser and autocollimator work best with an accurately centre spotted secodary).

It may well need to be sent back to the factory if the mirror can not be positioned easily.

guy