Thread: Star Adventurer
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Icearcher (Chris)

Hey Greg

Im from Adelaide so happy to catch up some time and learn together.

Iv had my Star Adventure about a year and really loving it, its great with an DSLR, Iv been able to get shots up to 2 mins at shorter focal lengths and up to about a minute at 250mm.

Big word of caution though, be prepared to put a bit of time into learning how to polar align, the polar scope unfortunately wont help much for us, well Iv never had any luck with it anyway. I use a bubble level, compass and angle meter to get a rough alignment which is fine for shorter focal lengths but I needed to learn how to drift align for longer focal lengths, its really quite easy though just takes some time.

I have started using an evostar 72ed on mine. You will open up a whole new range of issues when you go this route and you will need a whole lot more gear. Im just about to start guiding so that I can get usable results from the scope. I also need to get a few bits to get the balance just right, its a bit of a learning curve.

Its super fun though so dont let these things hold you back, personally I think it really helped me learn more about the hobby then if I had gone out and purchased a HEQ5 or such.

Regards
Chris