View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
I think Dennis might have done some moonage with his DBK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Hmmm.

Care to chime in here, Big D?
Hi Guys

Thanks for the plug! Well now, let me see, it seems quite a while since I did some of this imaging stuff. If I am going to image the moon, I will plug in the DMK. I have noticed that it produces better images than the DBK. What do I mean by better?
Well, the DMK live images look cleaner, show less noise, allow for higher frame rates and have more in reserve if I need to pump the image for faint objects, or those with a high brightness range.
I have never experimented with the DBK as a mono camera, I have always used it as a colour camera and in this mode, lunar images are dimmer and noisier at the same settings, so I have to increase the exposure time, lower the fps and pump the gain.

I use the DBK mainly on colourful multiple stars where I can pump up the Gain as we are dealing with point sources. However, if I want to split close doubles that are faint, the DMK is superior in 2 ways;
  • It goes deeper so I can image fainter doubles.
  • The dynamic range seems superior; that is, where the brightness difference of the components are large, such as mag 3 and mag 10, I can play with the settings and capture both using the DMK, whereas the DBK hits the wall at around 7 or 8 mag where noise and slow frame rates become dominant.
However, I will reiterate – I have always used the DBK in colour mode and not used it in B&W mode.

Hope that helps!

Dennis