View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

To calibrate subs is fairly straight forward if you are using a cooled camera. I have a library of darks and bias frames (as masters for different exposure times) and shoot the flats on the night. I put the flats into a folder with the darks then use the wizard. If you go into "Process --> calibration wizard" you can create master flats, bias and dark frames etc which will then be used to calibrate your subs in one go. Once you have directed the wizard to the calibration files maxim knows where everything is. Calibration can be done as a batch operation " process ---> calibrate all". Easy as that, your frames are flat fielded and dark subtracted in the click of a button. When you capture the flats etc make sure you designate the exposure type (light, flat, dark etc) and maxim will do the rest. If you are shooting mono with filters the program automatically applies the correct flat (eg red) to the correct sub (eg red) which saves a lot of time.

What you need to do. (assuming you are using the DSI II for LRGB which makes a dark library a waste of time)
1. Take your darks (about 10) put in a seperate folder.
2. Take flats for each filter and put in seperate folder.
2. Shoot your bias frames if you want to use them (lots of fights over this around here) and put in seperate folder.
3. Put them all in one big folder called callibration frames for object X on date Y.
4. On the menu bar click Process --> calibration wizard: Direct the wizard to each of the folders for the correct type (e.g. flat, dark etc) and build masters for each.
5. Open up all of your subs: process--> calibrate all: You are done.

Like the others I find CCD stack is better to use when combining subs but it can still be done in maxim. CCD stack has better alignment options thats all.

Mark

Last edited by marki; 11-06-2010 at 06:44 PM.