View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
Having been confronted with the same decision last year I am thinking I really should have purchased the STL-11K rather than the ST-8300. I placed my order for the ST-8300 last year and I am still waiting for delivery. Had I gone the STL road I would have had it by now plus it would have been a better purchase.
I dont think you 2 guys have made the wrong choice at all, the choices are just different IMO, not one better than the other.

The ST11k has a bigger chip and is a neater all-in-one solution, and better for H especially for feild use, wins on convienience.

The ST8300 has a much higher QE (for me, thats a killer) and with an OAGer much more suited for long FLs and NB.

To fit an OAGer to a ST11k is not a trivial task (and for long FL NB, that becomes attactive, if not essential) , it is very heavy (much more than the ST8300 I think?), I think you would need a MOAG at least. One adaptor I got with my image train, had those pissy little finger-tighten screws on it I see a lot of ppl use (and me in the past), was a complete joke, I had to drill and tap 8 holes for 6mm screws. So accessories and adaptors become quite expensive, you need to use the heavy duty gear.

So, point is, ST11k all in one convienience and big chip, but gets expensive with OAG later. And ST8300 hi QE and is more versatile with OAG etc within the same price.

But of course if in the end you wanted to go AO, then the ST11K is the choice.