View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Interesting project Bob.
I suppose southern stars such as Rigel Kentaurus and Acrux are difficult for you to access. Both doubles are easily resolved in daylight for me down here.
I find Antares and other brighter coloured stars quite spectacular against a blue sky.
Have you bagged all of the naked eye planets as day time observations? Saturn was the hardest for me as it needs to be well past quadrature in its orbit when a daylight observation is possible and is very faint against the bright sky.
Another challenge is to observe all 5 naked eye planets on the same day. I have managed this twice now.
Hi Steve,
I have always wished to see Rigel Kentaurus and Acrux during the day. However, they are normally daylight during our wet season. Now that I am retired, I may do better.

Seeing orange stars against the blue sky is a good tip. I never thought of that!

I have seen Venus, Mars and Jupiter during the day. My main reason for finding Jupiter is to see shadow events that occur during the afternoon. I am keen to see Mercury during daylight, but I had not even thought of Saturn.
5 planets during the day, yes, I have seen that a few times in the evening, though it is relatively rare.

I now know why I lost sight of the Mag 3.0 Omicron Canis Majoris, my motor drive has developed an intermittent fault and stopped tracking. I did attempt this again this morning, however it became overcast around dawn.
Nevertheless, Mars did look great today with its ice-white pole cap and several marking being visible. The planet is still not “full”, but is appearing larger.