Thread: First Telescope
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander2287 View Post
Thanks again for all the help and advice. I am basically set on a 10" dob with goto. I have 1 or 2 wheeled bases I can use to help with moving it around. The only thing I am still undecided on is whether to go collapsible or solid. There are a few deals at the moment on collapsible goto dobs and I realise it would make things lighter and cheaper. There don't seem to be many options from the getgo with solid tubes fitted with goto, they seem to be an add on. Being a novice I just feel that the solid tube would be more suited for me. Just need to decide and bite the bullet. Just to add, I would still try to search manually but like the option of having the goto available if/when needed.
Okay, up front, I don't own a collapsible SW Dob but, I have a mate who uses a 12" collapsible dob in his astronomy tours up here in Cairns. This scope is manhandled 3 - 4 times a week into the rear compartment of his 4wd, driven over several kms of relatively rough track to the darksite where he conducts his tours & then manhandled out of the 4wd to the viewing location... He is careful but, not especially gentle with this scope... Rarely if ever does he actually have to do a great deal with collimation.. serioulsy, it holds it that well.. he will every so often do a quick check with a collimation cap & laser in daylight maybe once a month but, invariably he finds he doesn't have to touch anything...

Remember, he is using this for paying customers (and as it turns out, some of his paying customers are professional astronomers visiting from abroad)...

He doesn't use a shroud either... he just gets it out (2 person lift - it is the 12" afterall), plonks it on the ground, undoes the brackets, pulls it up to full extension, locks the brackets, slips in an eyepiece & off he goes.. He doesn't need Goto but, I & many others do.... or at least Digital Setting Circles & a device...

I have a custom built 12" truss dob (Gondwana), I was planning to have a shroud made for using it in my backyard to limit stray light.... have found I don't actually need it for that or to keep dust off the mirror.. it has a mirror box cuff about a foot tall that does the job just fine.. only reason I might put a shroud on it is for insurance against accidently dropping something heavier than a collimation cap onto the mirror...

Go for the collapsible, your back will enjoy the weight relief & your collimation & views will be superb...