View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Moontanner (Ross)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Gday Ross

Good to hear its back to life.
I know of several people who have reported failure of the switch itself, but i've never hit that yet. Another problem is sometimes the inbuilt switch in the 2.5mm connector jack that can be faulty.

Ahh but too many people use a std car cigarette adapter and dont realise it also has a fuse in it. Surprising how often that is the cause :-)

I normally use about a 2.5amp fast blow
When i tested my scope slewing at max speed in both axes, it only draws about 1 amp, so the 2.5 is ample, and dies quickly.
If using a plugpack supply, i also try to ensure the fuse is rated well less than the output of the plugpack, just to ensure it blows.
Batteries will blow a fuse no matter what, but if yr plugpack is only rated to say 1.5Amp and you have a 5A fuse, it wont necessarily blow.

Lastly, as you have now effectively screwed up your PEC fingerprinting.
If you ever intend to do PEC training, you should reset it to zero and let it reconfigure itself for the new sensor.

Andrew
Gdevening Andrew,

I'm pretty stoked about getting things up and running again.
It looks like it's an intermittent problem with the connector jack or the wiring that runs from the switch itself. The switch seems to check out.

Can you give me anymore info on the inbuilt switch in the connector jack you mentioned? I'm guessing it's similar to the one that fried my ETX when I hooked up the 12v input at the same time as having batteries installed.

Thanks for the tip on the fuse. That'll save me checking out the maximum draw of the unit when I'm trying to get do everything at once during a session.

I may also ask you about setting the PEC to zero shortly. Hopefully that part of things should be pretty straight forward. If it's anything that's not obvious in the menu settings let me know.

Cheers.
Ross.