View Single Post
Old 27-07-2020, 02:09 AM
ColHut (Colin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasaurora View Post
So I’ve slowly worked out how to utilise my dobsonian 10” scope and impressed the kids with reasonable images of the planets.

My question is - what is a few things that can continue the wow factor - ? I’ve used the tour aspect on goto but many items come up looking like...well stars really. I’ve looked at a couple of distant galaxies and can fit watching in wonderment as I understand the distances and contemplate who is looking back but is there anything I am missing that with the right recipe will continue the wow factor for young teens? Would a filter help show a nebulae?

Silly question - why do cameras allow for such vastly improved imagery - it’s obviously not down to magnifying the image, so must be down to spectrum - so can you buy filters that emulate this or only in PC processing can one gain the imagery seen on many you tube channels?

Just FYI if it helps I’m using and learning with;
10” goto skywatcher. 10mm and 25mm original eye lens.
Celestron 6.5 eye piece and 2 x Barlow lens.
Scope will accomodate 2” eye pieces but I’m not using them.
Partly it comes down to expectations. The pooliverse is awash with super pretty images taken with modern technology, stacked composite long exposure images etc. If you were expecting to see that in your typical backyard scope it would be a bit of a let down. You can fairly easily do a bit of astrophotography and with the free software available can yourself manufacture some pretty good images.

But really, if what you can see (and you will see more detail with experience, honest) with your own eyes does not float your boat after a while, that is just all there is to it

For me, the thrill of knowing those photons actually came from that celestial object for just my consumption is a big thrill, even if a five year old with a pack of crayons can generate a better image after watching one episode of Cosmos!

So if the kids just don't 'get it' after a bit, and after you have explained what they are seeing, then not much you can do

Trust me, been there. However my kids do sometimes now come out to have a view, and there remains the hope that they might find it more interesting as the thrill of video games etc wanes (if it does).

Clear skies.