View Single Post
Old 19-11-2015, 11:01 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
First check a few basics:

1. Is your mount accurately polar aligned? How accurate and how did you align it?

2. Is your mount level?

3. If you can see the worm, is there any grit or brush hair from applying the grease in the gearing causing a spike?

4. Your autoguider is working, connected and commands to move the mount from the autoguider software are working.

If the above are all good then it sounds like a mechanical issue like grit or rubbish in the gears, poor gear mesh or some other mechanical fault etc.

Huge PE sounds like something is totally off, not just a little bit. So it should stand out when found.

Greg.
1. I believe the PA is within about 1' now, although I haven't confirmed with any other tool/approach other than what's being reported in PHD2.

2. Mount is level, it's in my observatory with a laser level floor. I've had the same setup working in the past.

3. No. My changeover/regrease last night seems to have helped. I get the peak to peak of about 27 over 4 minutes, but it's a "sine wave" style now, with smaller spikes. I'm willing to say that a good proportion of those spikes off the main "wave" are due to seeing.

A problem with this wave though is that the rate of change throughout the cycle is not the same, with some rapid changes during the wave's "rise".

4. Yes, you're right. The guider is definitely operating.

And I also agree there's at least one mechanical fault here. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's looking like the worm block holders alignment/positioning is having an impact. I'll look into the gears more as well.