View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

As they used to say in "Dragnet" when testimony got emotional : just the facts ma'm , just the facts. So to reiterate.

I stepped off curb, and crossed behind a stationary motor vehicle and in front of a vacant carpark space.

The vehicle did not have indicator lights or reverser lights illuminated when I did so.

I assume driver of that vehicle took offence, as they sounded the vehicle's horn, lowered the driver's window and yelled at me " are you kidding me?!" ( there may have been an adjective ahead of the word "kidding" starting with the letter "F"

Puzzled, I walked up the the driver and attempted to explain, as well as justify my actions.

After being unable to communicate with the driver in any meaningful way, I effectively called her an idiot and walked away (not wanting to inflame things further). I was not phased either way by the gender of the driver.

1) Re: Road rules
In NSW, within shared zones, pedestrians have right of way.

2) Re: Newton's laws of motion
Cars usually do better than humans after a transfer of momentum.

A general observation: while it the USA, I noted drivers would almost yield to pedestrians in shared zones. I often waved them on, but they would invariably stop and I suspect think my behaviour was bizarre and insist I cross.

My experience In Australia is car drivers dominate shared zones. Pedestrians stop and let cars go. This should not be the case, but given point 2, being right can have undesired consequences.

Last edited by Peter Ward; 06-10-2020 at 11:07 AM. Reason: typo