View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 08:51 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiice View Post
In Bathurst, we have useless 45 degree reverse in parking, so you have to stop in front of where you are going to park, a fair and reasonable person would see a pedestrian crossing the road towards you. A fair and reasonable pedestrian would see the car slow, stop and then start to reverse back, a fair and reasonable driver cannot possibly be expected to see a pedestrian come across a road and walk behind where you are in motion, in reverse.
I saw the copper in my right hand external mirror, I didn't see him waiting to cross the street or even crossing the street, I only saw him when he was about to walk in the space I was reversing into.
Would I be at fault if I had hit him? yes, but I wouldn't be lying on the road injured.
So, my point is, right is all and good but what good would it have done him if I had hit him and what good would it have done me to live with the knowledge I had injured or killed him - unlikely as I was moving at or below walking pace.
Ultimately we are responsible for minimising the risk to ourselves, road rules and all included.
No cameras eh? That said, the all around visibility from a model-T is actually pretty good

While I wouldn't recommend stepping behind or in front of a moving vehicle, I also seriously doubt while reversing, typically at 5-10 km hr , that you are going to kill anyone..... well maybe...if he/she decided to also lie down on the road and end it all...

Last edited by Peter Ward; 02-10-2020 at 10:14 AM.