View Single Post
Old 21-07-2015, 12:44 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngwheeler View Post
Is there some kind of adapter which would allow a spotting scope with a camera adapter to be fitted to an EQ mount?
Yes, you can buy dovetail plates which you can screw into a tripod mount on camera but there is no standard size dovetail on telescope tripods. You may be able to find a rind that can fit around your scope and let you attach a dovetail plate if the scope doesn't have a camera tripod socket on it. Typically you attach the scope tube to the tripod not camera to tripod so you dont stress the camera lens mount with this long heavy tube wobbling off the front, plus to balance it on the tripod too. Mostly dovetails are either wide orion style or narrow vixen style, pretty much covers most skywatcher, celestron gear too. All my gear was narrow until i got my monster scope with wide then i bought an adjustable narrow to wide adapter so i could put my existing scopes on my new mount and i just got some narrow plates to put directly on my cameras. that way i can put any of my scopes or cameras straight onto my best mount or cameras on my smaller tripods. just gives me the greatest flexibility.

creative adapters are common in astronomy, just find someone with machine gear who can make a simple 2/9" imperial whatsit screw into a 7.8mm whosit. whatever the combination somebody has probably built a solution already