View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 08:32 AM
johngwheeler (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
are you still using the zoom eyepiece on the spotter? you may benefit from getting some good eyepieces first before upgrading your scope [the regal gets good reviews on birdforum] & waxing gibbous [member here]has both the 80 & 100mm spotters -check our his review on cloudy nights

a 32mm plossl may help you find objects without a finder -or simply make a small open sight[like on a slug gun] for the end of the barrel

if you can get to an astro club -try the 5mm ep & see what planet views are like
Good idea! I was looking at the Baader Hyperion (probably 17mm) which has good reviews with the Celestron Regal ED scopes. That would give me about 28x and 2.85mm exit pupil, which sounds like a good general purpose setting for general stargazing.

I was thinking about about a short focal length EP (the Baaders apparently don't work in 8mm & 5mm because the scope lacks back-focus distance, so the choice of manufacturer is critical). I think you suggestion to try one at a club viewing evening is excellent - much cheaper than buying an expensive eyepiece and crossing my fingers!

One thing I do notice with my scope looking at planets (particularly Venus) is that there is quite a lot of "coma" (off axis "flare" on one edge) around the planet. It can be minimised by careful focussing and moving my head around a bit or blinking. Is this the scope, internal "floaters" in my eye, or an effect of the atmosphere? Elevation is pretty low (probably 20-25 degrees).