View Single Post
Old 06-07-2015, 04:07 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

To make your 80mm telescope useful you need either a more expensive alt-az mount or the cheaper Orion slow motion control for tripods,
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-Preci...ter/p/7033.uts
which you can get through Bintel. Though I don't like the big knob at the top which always comes loose - so I glued it permanently closed.

Then you need a finder for the telescope, something like this.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Red-Dot-F...item58b7407922
which you can easily attach using those double sided sticky things they now sell for sticking things on walls. A Telrad is better, but it's bigger too.

When it's tricky trying to find something, put one tube of a binocular behind the red dot finder, and it's like having a proper finderscope. Though with my 80mm, I just use a low power eyepiece when the 1X finder has taken me to the correct part of the sky.

Put it this way - I have a 14.5" telescope, and an 8" telescope, but I still find it handy to have an 80mm telescope/slowmotion control/tripod as descroibed above for quick and for wide-angle views of the sky. I suspect that you will be very pleasantly surprised with the magnification capability of your telescope - it should do pretty well on planets up to 180X to maybe 200X. Though you'd have to get used to using the slow motion contol to put the planet on the edge of the field, and waiting for the shake to settle down as the planet moves across the field.

For steadier image, I have the Bintel Alt-Az mount which is more expensive and much better than the slow motion control/tripod option and better than say the cheaper AZ3 mount. Though I prefer the slow motion control/tripod option to the AZ3 mount option.

Then, after you've done some good viewing with your little telescope, you may well be anxious to get a bigger one - but you'll still use your little one.
Regards,
Renato