View Single Post
Old 19-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Southskyscience (Team)

Astronomy Course free on-line by Duke University

Hi All,

The Introastro course by Prof Ronen Plesser of Duke University USA has just concluded Mar-2017,
free on-line non-certificate on the EdX platform (was previously on Coursera).
Past stats, and any for this round, would be best from the course provider. General info at

https://extend.duke.edu/courses/cour...016-2017/about

One member reports:
Quote:
Thanks!! for previous info by a few here on IIS.

My verdict is: Great syllabus that’s extensive from basic to precision cosmology intro, even with forum help/hints homework took way too much time, part of homework too unnecessarily cryptic and tedious, can save course materials and study videos afterwards (videos full of info and Ronen’s energy so appear fast and furious –but great);
with this awareness go for it!

I was interested in this course because, for Outreach activities plus peer learning/teaching among us amateur astronomers, I felt it a responsibility to improve my understanding via a structured syllabus, in addition to via own research alone.

It was a joy and a big relief to complete, End Play. It also showed that 100% for everything was possible,

but only because of my physics-related background and some huge amount of homework time and efforts (frustration)… and
because of very generous giving by Ronen (and course producers), community teaching assistants, and classmates including those who raised forum questions.

I want to pay it forward.
Andes
Regards
Team
-
-

Last edited by Southskyscience; 19-03-2017 at 05:12 PM.