View Single Post
Old 25-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Greggles (Gregory)

Hello from a Beginner

Hi everyone,

So I've always been intrigued and mesmerised by the universe and recently shopping at Aldi on my birthday my wife and i saw the Nat geo 76/700 reflector telescope for $100. My wife was enthusiastic for me to buy it and i obliged.. of course. I know this scope is not the best but for $100 i thought i'd give it a go to dabble into the hobby and see how i go.

Well looking at the moon the day i purchased it and seeing the rings of Saturn the night after has left me obsessed. As well as reading everything i can find online about all different topics, i have purchased the Atlas of the southern night sky which is keeping me busy reading.

I particularly purchased the book to direct me at points of interest in the night sky. At the moment I've literally only been seeking out Saturn over the last few weeks and marvelling at its rings.

As amazing as Saturn looks through the telescope I've noticed that stars are actually much harder to observe (more dull) compared to my Nikon 10x50 binoculars. Is that due to the telescope being on he cheap side? I am also aware that viewing from my location is pretty much horrible. I'm in Botany so lots of light pollution.

I've attempted to collimate the scope (founder it a lot harder than what i read haha) but think i got it better? maybe?

Anyway. Looking forward to really getting into stargazing and cant wait for Jupiter to be a bit higher in the night sky so i can find it in the scope.

Cheers

Greg

Last edited by Greggles; 25-08-2017 at 10:06 PM.