View Single Post
Old 19-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Shakey ToUcam - even on terrestrial target?

Hi all

I've just recv'd my ToUcam 1.25" adapter, and I mounted the unit on the back of the EyeOpener fitted to my 12" SCT so that I don't include the extra optics within the diagonal giving me an upright true image.

This morning I aimed my scope at a target down the street - maybe 300 metres away and turned the camera on. I trained the scope on a "Commodore" boot badge on a parked car. Firstly I found that I could not get a really tight focus on screen. Using both the rough focus and then the microfocusser I tried to get a sharp image, but only acieved a "fairly" focussed image on screen. With all the power in the scope I thought that I might do better than that. The letters on the badge were able to be read, but I would not call the image "sharp" as such.

By biggest problem however was that I could not get the image stable! It shook around every frame ot two like my scope was in a windy place. If I can't keep a stable image of a terrestrial target down the street, how am I ever going to keep it stable when looking at a planet? Is it just that I was looking through a window pane? If there was a slight breeze blowing would the window pane glass be vibrating - and then making my image shift all over the shop?

Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated!!

TIA
Chris