View Single Post
Old 26-08-2013, 01:41 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Thanks for the feedback, Rod!

It depends where you're going to upload it - I follow a routine such as:

- Save PSD (obviously using photoshop for processing)
- Resize to 1200px and optional sharpen for web. Save as 1200px version at 100% quality. I use this on my website or to upload to FB where size isn't important.
- Resize to 700px or 800px (longest side) and optional sharpen. Save as 'filename-800px.jpg' (for example) with 80-90% quality and use that for uploading to IIS. I adjust the quality or the size until the image is under 200kb.
- Resize to 500px or 600px, save as 'filename-600px.jpg' (for example) and use that for embedded images in my blog or where I may need a smaller size.

In Lightroom, you can do roughly the same thing.

Setup a number of export presets - one for each of the places you normally display your images (if they have different criteria).

In Lightroom, I have an 'Export Web 1200px', 'Export Web 800px', 'Export Web 600px' for example.
You can then use the settings of the export to reduce the size to 800px, and the quality to 90% (for example).

Depending on the complexity of the image, that might get it under 200kb. In some cases, I need to reduce the dimensions to 600px and save at 80% quality to get it under 200kb. Each image is different.

I hope that helps!