View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Rob_K

Hi Orestis, nice report! Sorry you didn't get to see the galaxies - there's always a chance you might have been in the wrong spot, but as Dave said it's very important to use a low power eyepiece or with a small aperture the faint fuzzies will disappear. And get your eyes well light-adapted!

Good charts are also important so you can find the exact position of the faint fuzzy you're chasing. I have attached a copy of the chart I made up for observing this cluster - you're welcome to use it. The circle represents my field of view as generated in Starry Night (a planetarium program), although the actual eyepiece FOV is slightly larger. Your FOV may be different. The triangle of stars marked at right is the naked-eye triangle referred to by Patrick. Ignore any galaxy in high mag 12s or into the mag 13s as you won't see them I don't think.

If your skies are dark enough, moving through the area in short bursts should reveal at least the three brightest galaxies, 1365, 1399 & 1404. They will all be small, just a faint little tuft of a glow that makes you think, hey, what was that? However, seeing very faint objects does take practice. They won't look like miniature NGC 253s unfortunately. I know when I first bought this scope I simply couldn't see things that now are blindingly obvious to me!!

Good luck with your observing, and keep persevering, it's worth it!

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Fornax-Eridanus.jpg)
192.2 KB15 views