View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Nice observations Orestis!
Yes you will often see satellites whizz throgh the FOV, happens all the time. There are hundreds of satellites in low earth orbit, off the top of my head, there are 66 Iridium satellites, and currently about 30 odd GPS ones. Then there are a whole host of military, science, weather etc satellites. The USSR/Russia Kosmos program is up to 2458 satellites since 1964, many of which are still in orbit. Obviously any in Geostationary orbit which are largely communications satellites, you will not see as they don't move. For info on more interesting ones (ISS, Iridiums, Hubble etc) check out http://www.heavens-above.com/

Rigels little mate is hard to see, I find it a good test for seeing, if i see it first glance, I know the night will be a good one!

M41 is a great OC. The orange central star is feature. According to O'Meara, in his book on the Messier objects, some observers see two reddish stars, must check that out!

Mars is still fairly low unless you are staying up very late, once it gets a bit higher, should become easier to observe.

Good luck with galaxies, be patient with them, enjoyed reading your report!

Malcolm