View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM
orestis

Obs report 8th + Half a sketch

8/1/10
Telescope-130mm
Sky Conditions-3/5
Transperency-4/5

It was afternoon and i couldn't believe there were no clouds.
So i set up the scope and brang out all the essentials eg. eps, sketch pad, planishere and a red light.

As i was waiting for it to get dark , i could see jupiter so i had a look but couldn't see much due to jetstream.

Then more stars popped out and i could see the constellation of orion.

Rigel- I read somewhere that rigel is a double star so i had a look to see if i could see it.I popped in the 6.5mm plosoll 138x and i could see Rigel with its difraction spikes but whats this, a tiny white dot next to rigel.It was a spectacular sight.

It was getting a bit dark now so off i went to sketch m41.

M41-compared to ngc2516 it was quite smaller but about the same amount of stars but fainter.The cental star had a red/orange hue but other than that not much colour.A beautifull cluster.

When i was sketching it i had done about half when it was really dark and i had a sudden urge to find those galaxies that rob had observed,so off i went.So i didn't get to finish it but have posted half of it anyway.

I must of been in that spot for an hour and still i haden't found them so quite frustrated i gave up and went and had a look at the tarantula nebula which was pretty cool.

My dad came and i showed him some dso's and then i was abot to pack up when i noticed a red star just above the tree tops and i thoght it must be mars so i had a look but it was so blurry that all i could identify is that it had a disk.After a short view i packed up everything and went inside.

One question that i'd like to ask is that when your viewing something do you sometimes see sattelites go through the fov because i saw two on this night and many more other times.How many sattelites are there?

All in all it was quite an enjoyable night apart from not finding those galaxies,i later found out that i was looking about 10 degrees lower than were i was supposed to look ..

Thank you for anyone patient enough to read my obs report an look at my sketch.

orestis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M41 half finished.jpg)
30.0 KB24 views