View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I have a small portfolio of my best ones on my ipad. Astrobin too, some I stick on facebook (lores jpgs), others I print and mount on foamcore to have at home or at work.

Mostly I do it for myself, the enjoyment of learning and improving the process to get the best I can from my captures. I dont care about impressing others so I dont often post any online, astrobin is just an online portfolio for anyone interested in my shots, its handy also to see improvements there too as I usually leave the old stuff in place. So I can compare and compete against myself. Also for others using similar odd/limiting gear to see whats possible. There are amazing shots out there from people with far better skills and gear than me and I dont size my shots against theirs, I only try to get the most from what I have and I find it astounding at how much can be done with my limitations. I try to offer advice here where I can and hope some people better their photos as a result.

I looked at the idea of doing books a few years back but I don't think i produce enough good photos to make it worthwhile. every time I look at and old photo I see ways I can improve it with my current knowledge and start tinkering.

I was able to contribute to a German project with the last Venus transit which I loved and hope to be able to help contribute to the sum of human knowledge in the future if the opportunity arises not just the Zooniverse citizen science projects.