View Single Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Phil Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
Regrettably from light-polluted suburban Melbourne skies with the odd tree in the way, it was just missable . The haze combined with horizon clutter was just too much, and by the time the comet rose high enough the twilight was too bright. I could see NGC6231 in the binos no probs so was in the right area too. In a day or two the comet'll be well above my horizon. But ... had a lovely hour or so under a pretty clear sky around dawn with the LMC, Eta Car and Omega Cen visible to naked eye, and a bit of Milky Way too. Mercury visible late on too. So not all lost!

And some of the photos on here today are exceptional , and definitely make up for missing the main show of the morning. The time-lapse video is beautiful too.
andy
Where in Melbourne were you looking this morning Andy? I'm assuming if I get out to the eastern sububrs tomorrow with a flat horizon (eg. Berwick) the remaining light pollution will be no worse than the twilight?

In a few days time I guess it will need a really dark sky as it gets fainter but into dark sky?

Phil