View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Thanks for posting this challenging project Bojan, it got me outdoors again.

I’m a little late to the game, but I managed to grab a session on Sunday night to attempt recording the companion of Procyon. Previously, I had easily split Sirius A & B but with Procyon I did not even get close.

I grabbed a few AVI’s at 1024x768 at various exposure settings, along with a full res 1936x1096 field at 10 secs to record the wider view.

I couldn’t record any stellar diffraction rings with the Mewlon 210 which was highly unusual, probably due to poor seeing.

I have also included an earlier image of Sirius A & B taken in 2018 with the same optical set up, but using a Canon 5D Mk IV as the camera.

After this one Procyon attempt, I feel it is unlikely that I will be able to image Procyon B, even with the star at a greater altitude and under good seeing conditions.

I have annotated the wider composite view with field stars that showed up consistently in the 3 x 10 sec exposures. I used the “Ruler Tool” in PS CC to measure the pixel separation from Procyon A and then multiplied those values by 0.15 to obtain an approx. separation in Arc Secs. However, I could not correlate my field stars with those listed in the database (green text top left) at the following link.

https://www.stelledoppie.it/index2.php?iddoppia=34859

Unfortunately, I did not note the orientation of the ASI 290 MM during the capture….

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Procyon Settings Comparison.jpg)
152.4 KB42 views
Click for full-size image (ZWO ASI290MM_L_31032019_195145_Star_lapl4_ap1 1200.jpg)
179.6 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1088 Crop 800 Text.jpg)
123.0 KB38 views