View Single Post
Old 18-02-2016, 12:18 AM
pgc hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Love these reports Sab!

Must try for some of the ones in Hydra that you chose from near Penrith.

Noticed again , time schedules etc, that you've picked the gem in Fornax NGC 1365; some say you can detect the bar in 6", but overlooked say NGC 1097, which to me in Sydney I find easier to detect- these are both loverly barred spirals and a fair amount of detail can be seen in 12"+; but you've done this all with a modest aperture these days of 8"-well done!!

Just goes to show what can be accomplished at dark sites with a nice dob etc and patience!

Wished more would give these detailed reports so we know what we can expect to see.

bigjoe
cheers mate! I only regret not using more magnification on 1365, not familiar with observing face on spirals as my previous light polluted location made them a write off so never bothered with them. Dark skies make all the difference. I can see more with my 8" here than my 12" back in my old backyard in Melbourne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardon View Post
All you folks are giving me inspiration and motivation to really get going when our lovely(!) moon again disappears. Although I have dropped down from my awkward home build and home figured 16" to the more sensible for my state(!) 10" F5 I find it so much more comfortable and I think there will still be enough up these for those crisp winter nights. Keep up this great visual reporting and we might even have an eye piece viewing group by the end of winter. Love the pictures but the sheer joy of all those faint fussy reports and Joe with his doubles will keep my very old engine stoked
Get out there and you did yourself a favour by getting a scope that you are willing to handle, you will use it a lot more and get out there rather than debating with yourself. That is why I have my 8" to complement the 12", it is much quicker and easier to setup and I will be out there when I otherwise might've said "I don't feel like it". Let's hope visual astronomy becomes more popular on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi SAb,

Enjoyed your report mate, lots of lovely stuff there.

The NGC 5084 NGC 5068 region near the Virgo/Hydra border is stuffed full of interesting stuff.

-68 is a galaxy that is structurally quite similar to our Milky Way, though somewhat smaller. It is a possible outlying member of the M83 / Centaurus A* group.

I remember my first visit there in the 18" (had seen it before in 10") because I was surprised by how easy it is to see the bar *and* spiral arms. It's a lovely galaxy. I have some observations of my own to post in a few days from 7 February. Will put them up soon.

Best,

L.
Thanks Les. Great to see you back here! Curiously, NGC5084 is represented by a very large symbol in the MSA when in reality it is much smaller.

Also did some sweeping of the Milky Way in Carina and surrounds. Absolutely ridiculous experience. My god I never seen anything like it. The amount of stars, the clusters , it was epic. The nebula itself was more vivid unfiltered than with the OIII from my Melbourne location.