View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 10:39 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
So the camera works but just can't communucate via USB?
Now in removing the motherboard you had to disconnect the small USB connector board, I bet your problem is there, or in the small ribbon cable connection to the motherboard. It is easy to think that ribbon cable is connected when it is actually not fully inserted. Also check that the little earth bar is in place and has continuity.
They are pretty old cameras now, not worth spending money to fix them imho.

I would bet the camera did not need to be opened up at all, simply removing the battery and memory card for several hours would likely have reset whatever was hung. But yeah i suppose it is possible the usb board got fried by a spurious signal but it is unusual.

Finally, ditch the APT and use BYEOS, never had problem with that purpose built Canon software.
The USB failed before removing the motherboard. I only did it to quickly reset any bit errors.

I have found out that this is a common problem with the 450D using mirror flip and not with just APT.

BYEOS doesn't have enough future support for my needs. I know this issue was my problem as I ignored the warning when changing the settings. Essentially the DIGI III firmware in the earlier 450D's does not like a pause of "0" while the mirror flip is on.

Will be a good daytime camera with SD card, my next purchase will be a higher-end mono or colour that will start for DSO/planetary then upgrade.
I have a new plan for this although may buy a new MB and Audio Board as it is called if the purchase takes too long. Tax time is coming so I am hoping for a good outcome.