View Single Post
Old 24-12-2019, 08:40 AM
byronpaul (Paul)

Hi,

I have not looked through a Lunt/APM so I can’t comment on them, nor have I looked through a Masuyama. I did try many other brands of eyepiece from Baader to Pentax before I got my first Televue and the difference was very notable, particularly from the lower end examples. Whilst I still have a few other brands in my collection, I pretty much only use Ethos and Naglers now.

I do have a ES 9mm 100deg, and I’ve only got that as I’ve yet to purchase the 8mm Ethos. I have a friend with the 8mm Ethos and the comparison in my eyes against the 9mm ES is significant. As others have mentioned early, the resulting light which hits the eye through the Televue is significant different to the ES. The contrast and brightness from the ES isn’t up to the Ethos.

Do you have an app such as CCDCalc (PC), Stellarium (PC), Astro Aid (IOS) which you can simulate the resulting views with your scope and the available Eyepieces you are looking at. Given your focal length is likely to be 3000mm, aside from FOV you would also need to consider what magnificent you want. A 21mm will give you 143x and a 17mm 176x. Whilst also considering the AFOV needed to get a decent target in, magnification is also important.
My SDM focal length of 2350, the viewing sweet spot is 13mm Ethos (181x @ 0.55d AFOV) and 21mm Ethos (112x @ 0.89d AFOV). For something like Orion or Tarantula it’s the 31mm Nagler (76x @ 1.08d AFOV) if I want to take in all the outer nebulosity.

When I first started in astronomy about 10~15 years ago, I was swapping eyepieces all night and going for higher magnificent. These days I do about 80% of my viewing with the 13mm Ethos, and going for less magnification.

With the head vs eye moving – yes the wider resulting views can sometimes introduce both, which I personally LOVE. Sometime I literally need to hold onto my step ladder or sit as you do get that sensation or falling into the eyepiece, it literally sucks you in. I can spend 15+ minutes on Orion just exploring all that is to offer and I never get tired of going back to targets like this whenever I can. Whilst the inner 90% doesn’t require any movement, the outer 10% can if you want to take it all in. This also depends on whether you are an eyecup up or down viewer. If at a dark site I’m 100% eyecup down so I can get all that is to offer.

From my perspective, you pay a premium for Televue, but you get what you pay for. They are an investment but you are likely to keep them for a long time. You'll likely sell or change your scope but keep your Eyepieces and Televue retain their value well, particularly if you can pick up some at a good price in the IIS classifieds.

Good luck with you decision.

Paul