View Single Post
Old 30-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Paramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Gordon,

Just out of curiosity I played with the frame rate to see what was noticeable. I known we normally strive for the typical motion picture standard of a minimum of around 24 fps based on human perception of smooth motion, determined way back "in the day" along with acceptable panning rates, but with slower moving subjects this can be stretched a little (Quite a bit).

Try your 25fps vision and using Youtube's speed adjustment set the speed to 75% (~18fps), then 50% (~12fps) and finally their slowest setting 25% (~6fps). Because I believe there is so little time between your frames (only 4s) and the rate of movement across the frame is not fast, you can get away with quite a lot of speed reduction (if you want to for a longer sequence or to use fewer images and thereby reduce the total session imaging time), without it looking too obvious: 18fps is OK, 12fps is on the border of acceptability/unacceptability, 6 fps is jerky/unacceptable. Interesting I think, but also dependent on image size, which I only considered on a 24inch screen at about 700mm.

Anyway all the best - Great Timelapse/s

Best
JA
Hi
Thanks for the comments, it's a good point that you make about the speed of the time lapse and when I first started doing them I often thought about this, however, after doing some research on the internet when looking up tips on processing, etc I found that the general consensus was that clips should only be about 10-15 seconds long otherwise they can seem tedious and people will lose interest. There are exceptions to the rule however, such as in the case of this one where I was trying to catch reflections in the water, or doing a meteor shower and so on. If I had halved the speed of this then the clip would be 48 seconds which might put people off watching it. It's all a matter of personal taste really. My clips range between 10 and about 35 seconds depending on the above. As you tried viewers can then speed up or slow down the clip to suit them in YouTube. It's a good point though and I'm sure people will have varying views on it
Best wishes
Gordon