View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 11:55 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have been off grid since 1996 and it is fun however my advice is buy a good 240 volt lead and save yourself time, money and frustration...It should not happen but does so often you will wonder if you are all there sometimes..is reversing polarity..I know there is a plus and minus sign and red and black wires ...but it happens and most times you blow up something.

I disagree with run stuff 12 volt... use an inverter and go 240 volt...sure I have 12 volt batteries but everything in the observatory is plugged into a 240 volt power boardjust like in the city...the mount, camera lap top and in the van..an electric fan, desk top, two miscroscopes and phone and tablet chargers...lights in the van are 12 volt but again if I did the lighting it would be 240 volt $10 lamps from Crazy Prices ... I got sick of $70 12 volt floro going just.

If you insist on going off grid make sure you include in the mix a small genny that will charge your batteries for the occasional times you find you run out of power halfway through an imaging session on a perfect night.

And before you do a thing consider the maintenance...topping water levels or at least checking, cleaning terminals, cleaning the solar panels...actually make a list and see how fun it really is...and price 12 volt wire and just how short runs should be kept.

I am off grid..my genny is broke so no charge if it clears tonight..I could run the car and get a charge..you find even the ride on lawn mower can get called upon when it's a clear night and your battery won't cut it....honestly even if you have to lay out your lead and wind it up every session you will be miles ahead.

I have found solar panels last forever in some cases but a lot don't.. batteries are not a one off purchase either...anyways if fun is what you want go for the off grid 12vlt and tell me what you think three years from now.

If I could connect to the grid for fifty grand I would do it in a heart beat...you end up using a lot of petrol...just do the sums.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 07-11-2020 at 12:07 PM.