View Single Post
Old 17-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Craig_

Plate solving & sync question in EQMOD

So, as far as I understand it, a limitation of syncing platesolved coordinates to EQMOD is that it won't sync if you are too close to the pole. For example, when setting up each night I will typically Polar Align in SharpCap (Which obviously uses Platesolving to work) and then open APT and use the PointCraft function to PS and sync. Now, if you just Platesolve whilst still pointing at the Pole, EQMOD will refuse to sync - but I always have a 100% success rate platesolving at the pole, so this is annoying. What I typically find I have to do then is slew around the sky, until I land on a target far enough away from the pole that can be successfully platesolved.

Sometimes, for reasons I am not clear on, it can take a few attempts on a few targets before I can get a successful PS once away from the pole. There does not appear to be any technical limitation in successfully platesolving as Pointcraft (using both ASPS and PlateSolve2) will work fine when pointed at the pole, as does SharpCap. But once I start slewing away, it can take a while sometimes before I can successfully Platesolve, and then sync.

Am I doing something wrong here? Obviously the point of PS+Sync is so that the mount knows exactly where it's pointing, allowing me to slew to targets accurately, but the limitation on syncing coordinates close to the pole is very frustrating.

Typically I will run the PA platesolve routine, as well as initial APT PS+Sync through my guide scope, as focusing my imaging scope without a bright enough star can be tricky, and finding a bright enough star can be tricky without first syncing the mount to correct coordinates

Any tips for how to speed up the initial routine of getting the mount properly synced to where it is pointing? Some nights I get lucky and it will PS on the first section of the sky I slew to, others it can take many attempts across different areas of the sky before it decides to cooperate.

Cheers