View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 09:46 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
Chris, I focus by viewing the object directly on the monitor. The 10" native F4 + barlow I have a focus motor on it, my 8" SCT has a Crayford and I just do it by hand. Electric focus is best as it avoids vibration and is fairly easy to hit the spot.
Check, went to electronic focusing a long time ago and will never look back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometcatcher View Post
Capture is best done in a small ROI window to keep the frame rate up. The faster the better. I use 480x352 for Jupiter, similar for Saturn and smaller for Mars (unless I want to include moons).

I capture in 12 bit SER video files as it keeps artifacts down that often show in 8 bit captures.

For a single video file run I capture 2.5-3 minutes for Jupiter and Saturn, 6 minutes for Mars. The pro's do this multiple times and de-rotate in Winjupos, but I'm not up to that yet.

I think your RC10 should perform very well. Definitely give your current gear a go.
I'll have to look at my options again for the camera, but I think I could choose 8 or 16 bit. Or is the 12 bit SER chosen as part of the file output process?

Hrm, I might have to look at how much storage I have on the laptop and clean it up a bit.