Thread: DSLR vs CCD
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Hagar (Doug)

I have to agree with Theo on this question. The DSLR is in a lot of ways much easier to master than making the big step to a dedicated CCD. I for one started with a DSLR and made the step to a cooled CCD only to find it much harder to get respectable images with the CCD.
The DSLR is a wonderful learning tool to get you started on the long and at times baffling world of image processing. The images come out of a DSLR with some initial processing carried out by the internal software of the DSLR. But at this point there is still buckets full to learn.
The CCD while employing a similar sensor for capture can at times leave you wanting with the initial image and what you have learned with the DSLR stands you well to move up.

I started with a DSLR, moved on to a one shot colour CCD and then on to a mono CCD with filters only to find I was much happier with the OSC camera and since have sold the mono in favor for the OSC.
Maybe in the future I will again make the move to mono but only when my commitments allow more time to be put into the capture with the mono.
Some find the transition a breeze but I most certainly didn't for various reasons. There are gains to be made in each step but for me the gains weren't worth the effort.

Each to his own.