View Single Post
Old 21-11-2019, 01:13 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

I know that pain.

Hi Carlton,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
... I'm pretty much where you were... 18 years since first diagnosis, 15 years of moderate pain & discomfort with associated muscle spasms from mild nerve compression.. last two years increasing pain levels & horrendous pins & needles in arms & hands... last 12 months, near agony... kept tolerable with 400mg of Tramadol per day ...

... Ultimately, I just want the pain to go, I can handle some movement limits (can't be any worse than my current limited range of movement I suspect) just to be pain free would be good ...
Know the feeling. At the end I was on four Panadine Forte per day + 200mg Voltaren tabs + the odd "top-up" regular Panadine. Unfortunately I am allergic to morphine-based analgesia so that's out for me. I have (been told) a relatively high pain threshold (so-said two physios) and that medication load was just enough to get me on my feet and to work and back. Not pain-free by quite a way but, reduced it to a tolerable level. When I woke up in the morning it was agonising before I could medicate-up (took about 90 mins before the first dose of the day kicked-in).

People who have never had severe back pain have no idea how bad it can be for some. I used to look at people with some degree of scorn who were "on compo with a bad back". While some of them were in fact probably just bludgers, genuine back problems are incredibly debilitating -- I know that now. I feel fortunate that I've been very nearly pain-free for 13 years after the op.

Re the level/severity of pain: I know about 5 years after I had my op, my former wife developed back problems and confided in me (perhaps grudgingly) "this is as bad as giving birth". I have no doubts giving birth is extremely painful, but labour pain is normally over in 4-48hrs. Back pain is almost endless.

Best of luck with the consult and the procedure. Hope for you it gives mighty relief.

Best,

L.