View Single Post
Old 14-04-2014, 07:05 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
The most part of the Aus East Coast is now under the influencs of both the downgrading Cyclone Ita, and the Tasman Low, Grrrr.
Forecast has SE QLD under a sky with 15 - 30 % cloud cover and while this sounds promising, unfortunately when in a situation of a moon rising ON the Horizon, well, one typically needs a cloud free area of sky in that direction for several hundreds of Klm's !
Considering the bulk Remnants of Ita will be several hundred K's East of NSW/Qld Boarder and made up with low level and medium level cloud _ Im thinking the best bet would be locating as high as possible and further west on a Mountain. This way, atleast there is possible better chances of seeing some moonage as it rises ? That said, this does Not rule out a percentage of Local cloud on the coastal fringe ! !
Just my asessment as Im thinking Mnt Tambourine at this stage
Wish all the best to those going ahead as well
Hi Bob,
I misspent my youth observing from Arthur Page's Mt Tamborine observatory on the east face of Mt Tamborine. Spent more weekends up there than I care to admit to at all times of year. Back in the 70's and early 80's, when it was clear and seeing and transparency was good-Wow! But believe me, the last place you want to go when the weather is less than ideal, is a rainforest. On that east face, moist air pushes in from the ocean, up the mountain and condenses as a cloud cap often with rain right over your head.

cheers
Joe