View Single Post
Old 21-08-2007, 07:20 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Bostjan

I haven’t used colour filters on my astronomy photos, but I do understand that certain colour filters can help bring out detail on planets such as Jupiter. Here is a link.

On the DD-1 controller I used the x1.5 correction speed when manually guiding to make small guide corrections. For this technique, I used an off-axis guider, somewhat similar in design to the flip mirror in one of your previous posts.

My off-axis guider had 3 ports or openings;
  • One where the camera was fitted to take the photo.
  • One where an eyepiece was fitted to find, frame and focus the object.
  • One where a guiding eyepiece was inserted.
The camera port and eyepiece port can be used alternately via flipping an internal full size flip mirror. Here is a link to the Taurus Tracker off axis guider that I used to use (I had the Mk II)

The guide port accepts a relatively high power (9mm-12mm) eyepiece with an illuminated reticule. Using this eyepiece, you find a suitable guide star reflected by a small built in mirror that picks off a small area of sky just outside the field of the camera. By watching this star, you keep it centred on the cross hairs of the illuminated guiding eyepiece by pressing the DD-1 buttons at the x1.5 speed.

This technique, provided you don’t fall asleep at the eyepiece, makes sure that the image being formed in the camera will have nice round stars.

In terms of a solar filter, always use a full aperture solar filter approved for astronomy that fits over the objective lens of the ‘scope. Never use the type that fits on the eyepiece, as these will break and blind you, either from the Sun’s rays or the splinters of glass. If you do use a full aperture solar filter, either remove the finder scope or place the lens caps on to prevent any accidents.

By the way, do not use the x32 slew speed for too long a time as I understand that the components inside (a voltage regulator) can overheat and burn out. I only use the x32 speed for a few seconds at a time to centre an object.

Also, if using a mains power adapter to provide power to the DD-1, make sure it is centre negative otherwise you will destroy the DD-1 as it does not have any reverse voltage protection circuit inside.

Cheers

Dennis