Thread: Flats again!
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2011, 02:37 PM
richardo (Rich)
Love reflection Nebs !

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvelez View Post
Thanks Rich

those are all useful tips. I have most of these in hand - including the pedestal setting - even though I had no idea that I needed to set that, its been set already.

I'm intrigued by the no dark approach - I image at -10 here. I probably should go lower.

Perhaps I need more flats than 10?

Pete
Pete, just try not dark calibrating your flats, just use bias subtraction. Go for around 17000 adu and manually set your pedistal, see how you get on.
With your light box having a variable intensity, you should easily be able to keep your flats well under 10 secs even with the blue channel, so really bias is all that is needed..
Yep and get your cooling down that extra -5*C.. (-15*C) I think this will help in the long run when calibrating.

More flats won't help at this stage, you need to sort why there's over correction first.

As Bert suggests, just do a single flat, bias it and then test it on a biased image to see how it goes...

In this day and age, with all the advances in cooling, cleaner chips and software advances, imo darks are a thing of the past!

Good luck!
Rich