View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 09:18 PM
rally

Paul,

That is certainly unlucky and bad news.

My recollection is you are only about 500m from the shores of Clayton Lake leeward of the prevailing winds so you would obvioulsy get more moisture laden air off the water than the average imager.

I know my local lake has suffered from historically high salinity and low ph levels and most of the Lower Lakes have also suffered including the Goolwa Channel of which I think Clayton Bay is part of, so I wonder if the salt and low PH levels might have contributed to the problem ?

It does seem like a design deficiency issue that the entire system is exposed to whatever is in the air that is being circulated through the fans.
Did you take any samples of the corrosion or salt build up ?
A simple analysis would be able to determine some of the constituents.

I hope you took some steps to neutralise the corrosion before you siliconed it - otherwise corrosion can be like a cancer and will continue - albeit slower.

I had some circuit boards started to malfunction (not my camera ! - but out of a machine) that got pissed on by a rat that found an entry point through a cable channel and decided to build a nest in the top of the nice warm cabinet !

Had to completey remove them, soak and wash them using various detergents and then neutralise them before using methylated spirits to remove any last traces of moisture and a final overnight dry out next to a heater.
They certainly smelled better and best of all they worked perfectly again !!

Rally