View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Catalog of Milky Way Globular Clusters

A useful reference for "globular tragics" like Grant, is the "up-to-date and continually updated" list of the Milky Way's globular star clusters ( together with much ancillary data about each cluster) by William Harris, the man who is informally thought of as "Mr Globular" in the professional astronomical community.

This catalog of globular clusters contains an absolute feast of really hot numerical data for each and every globular star cluster, e.g. its position in our Galaxy, its apparent magnitude, its distance from the Sun, the luminosity of the cluster, the foreground extinction, etc.

http://www.physics.mcmaster.ca/~harris/Databases

(If any of the "astro sisters and brothers" have any trouble deciphering this data, I am happy to lend a hand, anytime.)

P.S.
My favourite globular cluster for smaller apertures (3-8 inches) is NGC 6752, because the brightest stars in this cluster are easier to see than in most of the other globulars. I even had some luck resolving it in a 3 inch Refractor, way back when I was 13 years old and the little 3 inch represented the concept of "large and powerful " to my mind!

Last edited by madbadgalaxyman; 02-10-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: more info